Faith is foundational to the Daniel Fast. STEP FOUR: PRAY TO PERCEIVE SIN’S ROLE IN POOR HEALTH –
Notice James 5:13-16:
• Sin is something related to the cause of sickness.
• Lack of health/healing may be the result of spiritual rebellion.
• Lack of health/healing may be due to sin of wrong intake, i.e. drugs, pornography.
• Repentance is linked to health according to James.
• Elders have a role in healing both spiritual and physical health.
• Sick people must desire to be well
• The anointing oil could mean
1. medicine for healing,
2. symbolic of the Holy Spirit, or
3. it could be baptism
• Prayer alone may not gain healing, faith is the major factor.
• In Greek there are several words for “sick”. James uses “Kanino”, which not only includes disease, but also means weak or weary.
• Attitude is important. James said, “are there any among you suffering? Let him pray. Is anyone cheerful? Let him sing psalms.”
STEP FIVE: FAST AS A STATEMENT OF FAITH TO OTHERS
Daniel was making a statement of faith when he asked for only vegetables to eat and water to drink, then dared the overseer to compare the appearance of the four sons of Israel with the young men who ate the king’s food.
STEP SIX: LEARN THE EFFECTS OF THE FOOD YOU EAT
Why are some foods good for us, and other foods not? What does certain food do to your body? If we really knew, there would likely be some things we would never eat again.STEP SEVEN: YIELD ALL RESULTS TO GOD
Daniel said, “as you see fit, deal with your servants” (Dan. 1:13).
• The Daniel Fast will lead to spiritual insight. “to those four young men God gave knowledge”.
• The Daniel Fast is longer than one day. These young men fasted for ten days.
• The Daniel Fast is a partial fast. They ate, but only vegetables and water.
• The Daniel Fast requires abstinence from party or junk foods.
• There is no indication that they ever began to eat the king’s food.